Author Topic: Question for the WOAI Team  (Read 12206 times)

August 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
Question for the WOAI Team
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »
This question is for a member of the WOAI team. I have tried sending a few private messages but it doesn't appear they have been read. Apologies in advance if there is a better way to go about this discussion than on the public forums.

I work with Boston Virtual ARTCC, a community of pilots and air traffic controllers on VATSIM. We provide ATC within the Boston ARTCC in the northeastern United States, and also have a very active pilot community of approximately 4,000 members. BVA is 100% free, and run by volunteers, just like the rest of the flight simulation world.

Until recently, the community was using FSX's multiplayer environment. However, we recently transitioned to VATSIM. As a result, we have been searching for an easy model matching solution for members, and have come across World of AI. To help members, we have developed a guide to installing WOAI packages. It instructs people to download WOAI packages and then use the WOAI installer to activate them.

When we were creating the guide, we did quite a bit of research and found the WOAI model set to offer incredible visual realism, even when compared to payware products like MyTraffic. I recently installed them myself and absolutely love the visual realism. Flying WOAI makes such a difference. I want to congratulate you and the team for putting in the work to get permission and pull these great packages together. It means a lot to the flight simulation community--I'm sure you hear that all the time.

As members work through the guide I posted above, I have received a few reports of issues with the installer. In some cases, members are getting an "unhandled exception" error when installing certain packages, even when they run the package as administrator. It seems that they have to re-run the installer on just one package at a time, in some cases. Additionally, the WOAI installer doesn't have default support for FSX: Steam Edition or Prepar3D, so users of those platforms have a few extra steps. Additionally, using the WOAI installer can take some time given the complexity of the installation process.

The installer is a brilliant solution for pilots who are downloading "random" packages. However, in BVA's case, there is a specific set of WOAI packages that we are suggesting for every member. There is no variety to be managed. Because of that, I would like to try to simplify the process for members by doing the following:
1. Running the WOAI installer myself for the packages we want (North American passenger airliners)
2. Taking the corresponding files and putting them into an installer package (.exe)
3. Uploading that package either to the Boston Virtual ARTCC website or to AVSIM/FlightSim.Com

I recognize that the agreement WOAI has with the developers who have created models is that the files can't be uploaded to other file sharing sites. However, I believe there is a need for an alternative solution to the WOAI installer given the wide variety in configurations that now exists in the flight simulation world. The package would be available for free, and I'd be happy for it to be hosted on one of the free sites (AVSIM or FlightSim.Com) if that helps for licensing purposes.

Do you think it would be possible for me to create the package I mentioned? What is the best way to move forward?

If easier, you can contact me by email at evanr@bostonvirtualatc.com.

Thank you in advance for your time. I look forward to working with you.

Evan

September 02, 2015, 12:18:14 AMReply #1

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-of-ai.com
Re: Question for the WOAI Team
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:18:14 AM »
Hi Evan,

In response to your message :

Woai has been given permission to create the packages and to distribute them through Avsim and Flightsim.
If you would want to create a package as you mention you would have to obtain the permission from the respective moddellers, repainters and flightplanners yourself. The permission given towards WOAI is a personal permission and not to be used as a blanket permission for the creation of alternative packages.

WOAI can't give the permission since we are not the owners of the models, repaints or flightplans.
I understand that you would liked to hear a different answer but WOAI can't give you the requested permission
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:21:12 PM by f14driver »
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 02, 2015, 05:54:31 PMReply #2

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the reply.

What about if I gave the installer I have created to WOAI, and WOAI posted it on AVSIM and FlightSim.Com? We can create a package that combines ALL of the files and then publish it for anyone to use. If someone wanted all packages, they could use this installer. If not, then they could use the WOAI installer as previous.

September 04, 2015, 09:33:35 AMReply #3

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
Hello Evan,

At the start of WOAI we decided not to create all in one packages.
We did this so the user can choose which airlines they want in their sim.
We are not going to release an all in one package.

We would have to support that kind of package and we only support packages that are installed with the WOAI installer and not other installers.
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 04, 2015, 06:37:37 PMReply #4

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
That's understandable but we are still in the situation where we are making it incredibly (and unnecessarily) complicated for users to install these packages.

So I have two questions:

1. Can you share with me the list of contacts so I can request permission to create my own installer?

2. Is there a plan to update the WOAI installer to support FSX: Steam Edition or Prepar3D?

September 09, 2015, 12:19:37 PMReply #5

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
Hi Evan,

For your first question, see the supporters page http://www.world-of-ai.com/forum/index.php?board=21.0

For the second question, I can't answer that because the development of the installer is done by Peter.
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 09, 2015, 07:47:43 PMReply #6

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Thank you for the information.

Do you have contact information for the supporters, or just their names? I don't see any email addresses or contact information on the supporters page you linked.

Is there a way I can get in touch with Peter?

September 10, 2015, 11:57:17 AMReply #7

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
The contact details are usually supplied in the readme of the repaint, model or flightplan.
I don't have a list of e-mail adresses at my disposal.

For Peter you can send him a PM on this forum but as he is busy in real life (as we all are ;) ) it could take some time to get a response
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 10, 2015, 06:25:47 PMReply #8

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »
What's Peter's forum username?

September 14, 2015, 03:16:05 PMReply #9

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 14, 2015, 06:18:00 PMReply #10

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I have just checked several of the model packages from AVSIM and it turns out none of them have contact information in the ReadMe files. Instead, the only email address is for World of AI (support@world-of-ai.com). There are names, but no contacts.

Do you have any other suggestions for how I can go about reaching the individuals mentioned in the packages?

Here's a sample:
Code: [Select]
Welcome to another release of World of AI.

NATIONAL JET SYSTEMS SUMMER 2008

Please follow the installation setup in the installer to ensure you have totally automated setup of this airline.

This package is for FS2004 and FSX.

Credits :

Models        : FM BAE146-200, PAI DHC8A
Modelmakers   : Fernando Martinez, Project AI
Repaint       : Matthew Rattray, Josh Kubale
Flightplans   : David Carter
AFCAD/Scenery :

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

THESE FILES MAY ONLY BE UPLOADED TO AVSIM or FLIGHTSIM.COM BY THE AUTHOR ONLY. 

THESE FILES MAY NOT BE UPLOADED TO ANY OTHER SITE WITHOUT THE AUTHOR'S WRITTEN
PERMISSION. THESE MODELS,REPAINTS AND FLIGHTPLANS ARE FREEWARE AND MAY NOT BE SOLD, OR PUT ON ANY SITE
THAT CHARGES FOR DOWNLOADING FREE FILES. THE FILES FOUND IN THIS ARCHIVE MAY
NOT BE DISTRIBUTED ON CD OR ANY MEDIUM FOR ANY KIND OF FEE, INCLUDING THE COST
OF PRODUCTION, MATERIALS OR POSTAGE.
THE MODELS,REPAINTS AND FLIGHTPLANS OWNERSHIP REMAIN WITH THE AUTHORS AS MENTIONED IN THE PACKAGE

Upload to FSPLANET.com will never be allowed by World of AI.

Any questions, suggestions and feedback can be put at www.world-of-ai.com/forums/

Installation:

Please read our installer page regarding installation of this file:

http://www.world-of-ai.com/installer.html

Any questions, suggestions and feedback can be put at:

http://www.world-of-ai.com/Forum/index.php

If you need help you can contact us directly at:

support@world-of-ai.com

11-9-2008

September 16, 2015, 08:45:44 AMReply #11

Offline Garfield_x

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://aifs.pvdveen.net
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:44 AM »
You need the readme files of the original textures, models and flightplans not the one in our packages

But i can tell you that lots of the permission we have are not round anymore in the FS scene so you won't get permission by them.

About a version for P3D, i have some sort of beta for a new installer but do not know when i will finish it.
Peter van der Veen
World of AI Member

September 16, 2015, 11:12:12 PMReply #12

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
You need the readme files of the original textures, models and flightplans not the one in our packages

Are these files available anywhere?

Moreover, I would think someone, somewhere with WOAI would have a list of contact information, wouldn't they? I won't ask you to share contact info with me if you would prefer to keep it private. But if you have a list, perhaps you would consider forwarding an email request on my behalf?

September 17, 2015, 02:59:33 PMReply #13

Offline f14driver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »
we have to dive into the read-me's that are on avsim and flightsim ourselves as well.

There's no such list.
It's a tedious and  time consuming effort that you will have to make in order to achieve your goal.
Kind regards,

Tom vd Horst
World of AI

September 17, 2015, 10:07:33 PMReply #14

Offline Evanet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
I'm willing to put in the effort.

Where are the files? In everything I found on AVSIM, the only contact information is the WOAI email I mentioned previously. I'm just trying to understand where the actual contact information is located.