Author Topic: Unique names? Missing files? Uh oh...  (Read 2133 times)

August 15, 2017, 09:31:43 AM

Offline paulyd

• View Profile
Unique names? Missing files? Uh oh...
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
Ok, so it has been a while since I entered my Steam account and decided , after getting a new laptop, that I would love to flight sim again.

In doing so, I always get this bug that I want a more realistic AI with lots and lots of traffic.

So, I spent a few hours yesterday downloading packages and I also downloaded the updated SAAB and something else. I had everything in the same folder and then used the installer. Unfortunately, the installer crashed when it got to the SAAB file (woops, I forgot it was in the same folder). So I had to start again. And the same thing happened when it got to the visibility folder, so finally, I started again!

Then when I went to start FSX it came up with a message "There are multiple objects with the same title name. They must have unique...." blah blah blah.

The issue of course, instead of trying to find a solution, I instantly assumed it was my multiple attempts at installing the 293 AIs. So, I deleted all the files in the SimObjects folder that were to do with the WOAI, this also included a package I had installed earlier containing Delta and a few others as a single file.

I forgot which package I already had. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I deleted the lot, ran FSX and it started ok. So I restored from the recycle bin the aircrafts, to see what would happen and the restore found some same names, so I overwrote those. Unfortunately, restarting still lead to the same "multiple objects" error. For which there appears to be 100s.

Firstly, is there a quick fix?

If not, what is the long fix?

August 15, 2017, 05:44:36 PMReply #1

Offline paulyd

• View Profile
Re: Unique names? Missing files? Uh oh...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »
*Problem Solved*

And here's how.

Run FSX. Find the file that is causing issues when the warning comes up. Go to the Aircraft folder in the FSX SimObjects directory. Find the file folder. Open the aircraft.cfg file with notepad. Use ctrl + f to 'find' the word "title". Scroll through all the titles and find the duplicate. Rename the duplicate with a "1" or anything you like. Save.

Any questions?